Sunday, December 12, 2010

Introduction

G'day All

I'm making a 40k mod for Civ IV. This blog is my update journal - please feel free to comment and criticise, it's what I need. If you want to offer help, please do. If you want to help, but don't have skills, again, what I need most is comments and criticisms. If you want nothing to do with this, then move along.

Grimdark Frontier is a mod of Civilisations IV (Beyond the Sword) to place it in the Warhammer 40k setting. This will be for Civ fans who want a new and interesting mod to play, or 40k fans who want to play a 40k game at a scale they have never been able to do, until now. The scale is at the sector level, with armies and ships being the smallest units, and entire systems being a single tile. This is as I wanted a truly strategic game, on a scale that isn’t represented in other games, and secondarily because I was basing it on the popular Final Frontier mod (actually the Final Frontier Plus mod, itself a fan compilation mod and update on Final Frontier with some of the most popular Final Frontier mods, including the popular Finaler Frontier. Yo dawg, I heard you liked mods?) which is set at this scale.

Since this mod is based on another mod which drastically alters gameplay, it’ll be out of my coding ability to create this from Civ5, until a Civ5 Final Frontier mod comes out. Also, many of the changes to Civ 5 do not lend themselves to this mod, and Civ IV feels more right for what I’m trying to make. So I’m using Civ IV – deal with it. Galactic Civilisations II has also been suggested, but I'm less familliar with GCII and CivIV has a brilliant and helpful modding community, so again, I've chosen Civ IV.

3 comments:

  1. awesome - keep going with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GalCiv has a cool modding community and the engine is geared towards playing on a galactic level so I think it makes more sense

    But best of luck on your project, I'm sure it will come out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not as familiar with GalCiv, but I plan on checking it out. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete